A great side dish for four to six, which will work a treat accompanying roast meat.
1 large black radish, mooli or a small bunch of salad radishes
8 carrots (use different-coloured ones if you can find them)
1 heaped tsp Maldon sea salt
3 tbs honey vinegar (we used Orkney Craft) or rice wine vinegar
2 tbs olive oil (you could use lemon olive oil)
1. Peel the skin off the kohlrabies, making sure to remove all the fibrous parts. Halve them, slice as thinly as possible and place in a large bowl.
2. Slice the radish thinly too, leaving the skin on.
3. Peel the carrots and cut each one into a different shape — rounds, sticks, long slices. You can even use a peeler to create long ribbons — anything goes.
4. Mix the vegetables together in the bowl. You should end up with about 800g of peeled and prepared roots. Sprinkle on some salt and mix well. Set aside for 20 minutes.
5. Mix again and drain off any liquid that may have formed in the bottom of the bowl, add the vinegar and rest for another 20 minutes.
6. Add the olive oil just before serving.
Recipe Listed on Financial Times